Constellium Releases Annual Business and Sustainability Report reflecting Progress towards 2020 Sustainability Targets
AMSTERDAM, the Netherlands, June 19, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Constellium N.V. (NYSE:CSTM) (Euronext Paris:CSTM) today released its 2016 Annual Business and Sustainability Performance Report, evaluating its performance against its 2020 targets.
"At Constellium, we're committed to integrating sustainability into the very heart of our business, where our efforts create value for our customers, our shareholders, our employees and the communities we proudly serve," said Arnaud Jouron, Chairman of Constellium's Sustainability Council and President of Constellium's Packaging and Automotive Rolled Products business unit.
Most sustainability objectives are on track, namely:
- Increase beverage recycling rate: We have endorsed industry-led objectives and Europe is on track to reach the 80% recycling rate target set for 2020. However, the US beverage can recycling rate decreased in 2016, but we will continue to work with the industry and other stakeholders to address this complex issue. At Constellium, we have significantly increased our used beverage cans recycling capacity in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, US with the installation of a new furnace.
- Increase customer satisfaction: Our 2016 customer survey showed continued satisfaction from our customers, and we continue to innovate to offer lighter, safer and infinitely recyclable solutions to our customers.
- Engage our people: Our 2016 survey showed a 2% improvement versus our last survey in 2014, with a stable participation rate.
- Strengthen our communities: More than half of our plants organized a community program in 2016, with our US sites being particularly active.
- Build a standard for aluminum: We have actively participated in finalizing the Aluminum Stewardship Initiative (ASI) certification program, which will be available in early 2018.
- Ensure sustainable purchasing: Throughout 2016, we continued to evaluate the sustainability performance of key suppliers as planned.
The following sustainability objectives need some improvement, and we are implementing corrective actions to address them with the objective of getting back on track by the end of 2017:
- Further improve our safety record: We saw a degradation in our 2016 recordable case rate1. However, our safety results remain among the best in the industry, and we were able to contain the number of serious injuries within our maximum limit.
- Reduce production waste sent to landfill: As we focused on better measuring production wastes, we identified unreported waste streams. This, combined with some non-recurrent landfilled waste, led to an increase in the total waste produced in 2016 as compared to 2015.
- Improve energy efficiency: While we improved slightly year over year by 0.3%, we remain under our target due largely to the temporary effects of ramp-ups and operational changes.
To learn more about Constellium's sustainability progress and to download our 2016 business and sustainability report, please visit http://www.constellium.com/sustainability
Constellium (NYSE:CSTM) (Euronext Paris:CSTM) is a global sector leader that develops innovative, value added aluminium products for a broad scope of markets and applications, including aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium generated €4.7 billion of revenue in 2016.
Forward Looking Statement
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. This press release may contain "forward looking statements" with respect to our business, results of operations and financial condition, and our expectations or beliefs concerning future events and conditions. You can identify forward-looking statements because they contain words such as, but not limited to, "believes," "expects," "may," "should," "approximately," "anticipates," "estimates," "intends," "plans," "targets," likely," "will," "would," "could" and similar expressions (or the negative of these terminologies or expressions). All forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Many risks and uncertainties are inherent in our industry and markets. Others are more specific to our business and operations. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the ability of Constellium and Wise Metals to achieve expected synergies and the timing thereof; Constellium's increased levels of indebtedness, which could limit Constellium's operating flexibility and opportunities; the potential failure to retain key employees, the loss of customers, suppliers and other business relationships slower or lower than expected growth in the North American market for Body-in-White aluminium rolled products, and other risk factors set forth under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 20-F, and as described from time to time in subsequent reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The occurrence of the events described and the achievement of the expected results depend on many events, some or all of which are not predictable or within our control. Consequently, actual results may differ materially from the forward-looking statements contained in this press release. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
1Recordable Case Rate measures the number of fatalities, serious injuries, lost-time injuries, restricted work injuries or medical treatments per one million hours worked.
Christel des Royeries - Europe Phone: +33 1 73 01 46 73 email@example.com Delphine Dahan-Kocher - US Phone: +1 212 858 9963 firstname.lastname@example.org Catherine Athenes - Sustainability Phone: +33 (0) 1 73 01 46 85 email@example.com Ryan Wentling - Investor Relations Phone: +1 (212) 675-5450 firstname.lastname@example.org