Nokia showcases 5G innovations driving next era of communication
- Demonstrations of latest 5G-related technologies at IEEE Globecom 2016 including dynamic spectrum and network automation to intelligently optimize capacity
- Visitors will be able to see spectrum access controller for Nokia 4.5G Pro LTE leveraging 3.5GHz CBRS band; Nokia Bell Labs' Intelligent Traffic Steering and F-Cell; latest advances in end-to-end Network Slicing
- CTO panel discussion including Hossein Moiin, CTO of Nokia Mobile Networks, to explain path towards 5G
5 December 2016
Washington D.C. - Nokia is to showcase its latest 5G-related innovations at IEEE Globecom 2016, showcasing technologies that will be the basis of the next-generation of dynamic networks. Through demonstrations and plenary discussions at the event, Nokia will show how operators can maximize resources such as spectrum to deliver the vastly increased capacity and speed required to serve the expanded 'fabric' of connected people, machines and devices expected in the 5G era.
Nokia has defined a path to 5G that will enable operators to meet the demands of end users while addressing the new opportunities created by IoT and increased machine-to-machine communications for smart cities, automated driving, connected healthcare, transportation and other vertical industries. Using the Nokia 4.5G Pro and 4.9G technologies as critical steps in the path to 5G, operators will be able to increase network capacity and speeds where and when they need it.
At IEEE Globecom 2016, Nokia will build on the launches, earlier this year, of the 5G-ready AirScale radio portfolio and the commercial introduction of 4.5G Pro, to demonstrate a number of key, complementary innovations that will form the basis of dynamic, intelligent and sustainable 5G networks of the future:
- Demonstration of an end-to-end spectrum access system that will allow US operators to leverage shared spectrum in the 3.5GHz Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) band. This would dramatically enhance in-building and outdoor 4G coverage and capacity while significantly reducing total cost of operation.
- Nokia Bell Labs will demonstrate its Intelligent Traffic Steering, which will highlight how operators can deliver and dramatically enhance the user experience by leveraging multiple access technologies simultaneously to optimize traffic paths.
- The latest advances in end-to-end Network Slicing which will enable operators to optimize the delivery of applications and meet the discreet demands of multiple users and devices on the same network hardware.
- Visitors will also be able to see the Nokia Bell Labs F-Cell - the breakthrough in small cell technology that will allow operators to deliver additional network capacity, lower latency and lower network power consumption through greater flexibility, efficiency and deployment optimization.
In addition to the technology demonstrations, Hossein Moiin, the Chief Technology Officer of Nokia's Mobile Networks business group, will participate in an executive panel session to identify the path to 5G, discussing the business and technology opportunities as well as the challenges that will be created.
Hossein Moiin, Chief Technology Officer of the Mobile Networks at Nokia said: "We have defined a technology path to 5G that will allow operators to deliver enhancements in capacity and speed and take advantage of the new possibilities created by the connected world. While mobile broadband demand will continue to be driven by use of ultra-high definition video, the ever-growing number of connected machines as well as the need for low-latency and ultra-reliable networks will drive the creation of new opportunities for mobile communications networks.
Did you know?
- Nokia Networks collaborates with leading universities in Europe, the USA and China to make 5G technologies as viable and future-proof as possible. It also runs several 5G-related industry projects in Europe, chairs the 5G-PPP association and is running 5G innovation projects with major operators including China Mobile, NTT DOCOMO, Korea Telecom, SK Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone and Verizon Wireless.
- At 5G World, Nokia demonstrated the first end-to-end 5G network running on commercial platforms, underlining its momentum in bringing 5G to commercial reality.
- According to an IHS Global Service Provider Survey in August 2016, Nokia Is perceived as the top vendor in 5G research and development.
Visit Nokia at IEEE Globecom 2016 from 4-8 December at booth #210 at the Hilton DuPont Circle in Washington D.C.
- Infographic: 5 Keys to 5G
- White Paper: 5G Radio Access
- White Paper: 5G Network Slicing
- Webpage: Nokia AirScale Radio Access
Connect with Nokia:
Nokia is a global leader in creating the technologies at the heart of our connected world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. www.nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900