JCDecaux wins £280m advertising contract (more than 314 million euros) with Network Rail A global first to deliver a 100% digital transport environment
JCDecaux wins £280m advertising contract (more than 314 million euros) with Network Rail
A global first to deliver a 100% digital transport environment
Paris, 13 September 2018 - JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) and Network Rail have signed a 5-year deal that will see the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide deliver an improved station environment with a 100% digital transport environment at Network Rail stations.
The partnership will see Network Rail managed stations become the world's first digital-only transport environment, with the introduction of innovative digital screens. The contract was awarded following a competitive tender and covers advertising at transport hubs UK-wide, including: Birmingham New Street, Glasgow Central, London Liverpool Street, London Victoria, London Waterloo and Manchester Piccadilly stations.
The new contract begins in December 2018 and will provide Network Rail with significant income to be reinvested back into the railway, helping to support the Railway Upgrade Plan. It will also provide additional benefits for station users such as interactive information screens, providing passengers and their stations with better information about the station they are in and how to navigate it
Since the partnership between Network Rail and JCDecaux began in 2010, it has delivered Europe's largest indoor advertising screen at London Waterloo station, brought large full-motion screens to London Bridge and championed spectacular experiential campaigns, including the recent Jurassic World campaign at London King's Cross station that featured a giant T-Rex on the concourse. Many of these campaigns have been delivered within iconic listed station buildings, all the while keeping busy stations running safely and delighting the public.
Passenger numbers have doubled since 1997-98 (source: ORR) and are set to double again by 2040 (source: Rail Delivery Group 2016). The move to a fully digital portfolio at Network Rail stations is projected to double the number of weekly viewed digital impressions, highlighting the huge audience scale of Network Rail stations.
David Biggs, Managing Director at Network Rail Property, said: "Our new contract with JCDecaux is great news for both passengers and advertisers. 900 million journeys start, pass through and end in Network Rail managed stations every year, making these environments hugely attractive places for brands to execute advertising campaigns.
By working with partners to enhance stations' advertising and commercial assets, Network Rail aims to create world-class environments that surprise and delight our customers, while generating vital funds to reinvest back into the railway and reduce the burden on the taxpayer. We've been extremely pleased with the positive response that we have had from passengers to the innovative advertising experiences that we've delivered with JCDecaux in recent years and we are excited that the extension of our partnership will help us deliver even more of these campaigns."
Jean-François Decaux, Co-Chief Executive Officer at JCDecaux, said: "We are delighted to have been awarded this contract and to continue our successful partnership with Network Rail that began in 2010. Network Rail's managed stations are a fantastic and powerful platform, with huge footfall in the largest cities in the UK. In a global first, JCDecaux will fully digitise Network Rail's advertising portfolio. This will transform the ability to target the full customer journey from passengers' arrival at stations to their journey to shop and work. Network Rail's managed stations will continue to be a showcase for Out-of-Home creativity and digital expertise and the go-to environment for the biggest and best experiential campaigns."
Key Figures for JCDecaux
- 2017 revenue: €3,493m*, H1 2018 revenue: €1,643m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and Euronext Family Business indexes
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good and Dow Jones Sustainability Europe indexes
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (543,050 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 215 airports and 250 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (356,320 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (141,630 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (672,220 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Asia-Pacific (216,290 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (77,190 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (26,770 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (18,650 advertising panels)
- Leader in self-service bike rental scheme: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,074,113 advertising panels in more than 80 countries
- Present in 4,033 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- 13,040 employees
* Restated from the retrospective application of IFRS 15, applicable from January 1st, 2018