GOGL - Second Quarter 2017 Results
Golden Ocean Group Limited (NASDAQ: GOGL / OSE: GOGL) (the "Company" or "Golden Ocean"), a leading dry bulk shipping company, today announced its results for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
· Net loss of $12.0 million and loss per share of $0.10 for the second quarter of 2017, compared with net loss of $17.9 million and loss per share of $0.17 for the first quarter of 2017 and net loss of $39.2 million and loss per share of $0.37 for the second quarter of 2016. Net loss of $29.8 million and loss per share of $0.26 for the first six months of 2017, compared with net loss of $107.5 million and loss per share of $1.27 for the first six months of 2016.
· Adjusted EBITDA of $29.7 million for the second quarter of 2017 compared with $17.5 million in the prior quarter and negative $0.8 million for the second quarter of 2016.
· Completed the acquisitions of 14 modern dry bulk vessels from Quintana in ship-for-share transactions in exchange for 14.5 million shares and the assumption of $262.7 million in debt. Eleven vessels delivered in the second quarter and remaining three vessels delivered in July.
· Took delivery of two Panamax ice-class vessels in June acquired from Hemen, in ship-for-share transactions in exchange for 3.3 million shares and the assumption of a $22.5 million seller's credit debt.
· Joint venture company agreed to sell Golden Opus for $28.9 million, with expected delivery in third quarter. Net cash proceeds are expected to be approximately $6 million.
Birgitte Ringstad Vartdal, Chief Executive Officer of Golden Ocean Management AS commented:
"Our second quarter results were positively impacted by the improved freight rate environment going into the quarter and by a small increase in our fleet operating days. The majority of the 16 modern, high quality vessels we agreed to acquire earlier this year were delivered in the second half of the quarter. All of these vessels have now been delivered and we view the acquisition as timely based on the developments both in freight rates and asset values. Our large fleet of young, modern vessels with the majority trading in the spot market gives us strong leverage to further improvements in the dry bulk market and positions the company to create significant value for our shareholders."
The Board of Directors
August 17, 2017
Questions should be directed to:
Birgitte Ringstad Vartdal: Chief Executive Officer, Golden Ocean Management AS
+47 22 01 73 53
Per Heiberg: Chief Financial Officer, Golden Ocean Management AS
+47 22 01 73 45
The full report is available in the link below.
Forward Looking Statements
Matters discussed in this report may constitute forward-looking statements. The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 provides safe harbor protections for forward-looking statements, which include statements concerning plans, objectives, goals, strategies, future events or performance, and underlying assumptions and other statements, which are other than statements of historical facts. Words such as "believe," "anticipate," "intends," "estimate," "forecast," "project," "plan," "potential," "may," "should," "expect," "pending" and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements in this report are based upon various assumptions. Although we believe that these assumptions were reasonable when made, because these assumptions are inherently subject to significant uncertainties and contingencies which are difficult or impossible to predict and are beyond our control, we cannot assure you that we will achieve or accomplish these expectations, beliefs or projections. The information set forth herein speaks only as of the date hereof, and we disclaim any intention or obligation to update any forward-looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this communication.
In addition to these important factors and matters discussed elsewhere herein, important factors that, in our view, could cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed in the forward-looking statements include the strength of world economies, fluctuations in currencies and interest rates, general market conditions, including fluctuations in charter hire rates and vessel values, changes in demand in the dry bulk market, changes in our operating expenses, including bunker prices, drydocking and insurance costs, the market for our vessels, availability of financing and refinancing, changes in governmental rules and regulations or actions taken by regulatory authorities, potential liability from pending or future litigation, general domestic and international political conditions, potential disruption of shipping routes due to accidents, political events or acts by terrorists, and other important factors described from time to time in the reports filed by the Company with the Securities and Exchange Commission.